UK Small Business Directory
The news, articles & blog section of Small Business Directory
Register a Business in the UK Small Business Directory
Registering a business in the UK Small Business Directory is a simple 5 minute process and is free to all UK based businesses
See our Free Business Advertising page for further information
Registering a Business – .GOV.UK Information
Register your business
Most businesses register as a sole trader, limited company or partnership.
It’s simpler to set up as a sole trader, but you’re personally responsible for your business’s debts. You also have some accounting responsibilities.
If you form a limited company, its finances are separate from your personal finances, but there are more reporting and management responsibilities.
Some people get help from a professional, for example an accountant, but you can set up a company yourself.
A partnership is the simplest way for 2 or more people to run a business together.
You share responsibility for your business’s debts. You also have accounting responsibilities. Find out more about being in a partnership and how to register.
Rules for your type of business
You may have other responsibilities depending on what your business does.
Check if you need:
licences or permits, for example to play music, sell food or to trade in the street
There are also rules you must follow if you:
sell goods online
buy goods from abroad or sell goods abroad
store or use personal information
Where you work
Check what your responsibilities are if you:
run your business from home
rent somewhere to run your business from
If you rent or buy a property, you may have to pay business rates. Small businesses can apply for a discount on business rates and some may pay nothing.
Check if you can claim office, property and equipment as expenses.
Taking on people to help
If you take on agency workers or freelancers you have some responsibilities, for example their health and safety.
Becoming an employer
There are things you’ll need to do if you take on your own employees. You’ll have more responsibilities, including:
paying for their National Insurance – but you can claim an allowance to reduce your bill
providing workplace pensions to eligible staff
Get help and support
You can get help with setting up your business.
Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.
Latest Posts and Information
- Huega UK Dog Walkers and Dog Groomers Website Updated
- Best Years Mammoth
- Business Listings Sitemap
- IT Support UK
- Changes to UK Company Law
- UK Small Business Directory Tradesmen Directory and Tradesmen Advertising
- Farnham Fencing Company
- Car Window Tinting South Warwickshire
- Chandelier Cleaners in Coventry & Warwickshire
- Cotswold Bathroom Fitters
- A to Z of Businesses in the UK
- SEO For Small Business Owners
- A to Z Business Directory
- Find Local Businesses in the UK
- How to Get More Google Reviews
- How to Find Your Google CID Number
- How to See What your Others See on Google Based on Their Location
- Register a Business in the UK Small Business Directory
- Free Business Listings UK Small Business Directory
- How to Earn Money From Directory Submission
- What You Get With An Upgraded Listing
- Special Offer
- Keyword Research Tool
- Latest Gold Listings
- Improve Your Local Citations
- Free Business Advertising in The UK Small Business Directory
- Find Mobile Dog Groomers
- Businesses in Oxfordshire
- Free Advertising Online UK Small Business Directory
- Top UK Business Advertising Sites
- Local Business Advertising
- Find a Business
- Google Site Search
- Business Name Search
- List of UK Citation Sites
- SEO Services for Small Businesses
- Free Upgraded Directory Listings
- New Blog Section on UK Small Business Directory
- South Warwickshire Directory
We improve our products and advertising by using Microsoft Clarity to see how you use our website. By using our site, you agree that we and Microsoft can collect and use this data. Our privacy statement has more details.